Home made Hoisin sauce takes about 10 minutes to prepare and you don’t need to cook it. Chop some vegetables ready for steaming (broccoli, potatoes, zucchini perhaps), then make the sauce while they’re cooking.
This sauce is great if you’re on a diet. Steam your vegetables and add a little bit of sauce – maybe one or two teaspoons at the end – to give them a great flavour.
Add a boiled egg. It also pairs nicely with the sauce and veg.
Makes about 200g.
- 3 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter (check for palm oil; it’s surprising where it lurks – rule it out if possible)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp black strap molasses
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp white miso
- Put all ingredient into a large, wide bowl and whisk to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste (add more sweet or salty flavours, or more water if it’s too intense).
- Steam your vegetables, cut up a boiled egg and plate up.
- Add a couple of teaspoons of the sauce on top of your veg and egg, and around the dish. Enjoy!