This marzipan is super easy and quick. The ratio of almond meal to sugar is 5:1 so it’s not sickly. There’s not a candy thermometer in sight, nor is there any liquid glucose.
It’s vegan if you use vegan chocolate.
400 g almond meal
100 g pure icing sugar
1 lemon, juiced*
1/3 cup boiling water*
1 tsp almond essence*
Cognac to taste. I use more than 30 ml but less than 60 ml.
150 g melted dark chocolate (I’ve used Lindt dark chocolate with almond flakes, but you can use any chocolate you prefer.)
*The liquid you make up for one recipe actually does a double batch with some to spare.
- Empty the almond meal into a large bowl. Run your fingers through it to break down any clumps.
- Sieve icing sugar into the almond meal and mix it through with your hands.
- Mix boiling water, lemon juice and almond essence in a cup.
- Add a few tablespoons of the water mix to the dry ingredients and stir it through with a spoon. Keep adding water little-by-little until the mixture starts to come together. It becomes wet very quickly so if you want to add cognac, make sure the mix is crumbly – not a dough – but still beginning to stick together.
The end goal is to mix it into a pliable ball that you can cut into eighths and roll into logs with your hands. It becomes wet very quickly, so add the water mix a little at a time.
- If you’re adding cognac, do it now, then put your hands into the bowl to mix it into a ball.
- Dust a large wooden board or your bench top with icing sugar and place the marzipan ball onto the surface. Cut it into four, and then four again.
- Roll each portion into a log. You might find it useful to have a bowl of water on hand. When your hands get sticky, a bit of water on your hands helps when forming the logs. Dust more icing sugar onto your surface and onto the marzipan as you need to.
- Melt chocolate. I use a large plate with slightly raised sides over a small pot of boiling water. The larger the plate, the easier it will be to coat the marzipan.
- Place baking paper onto a flat oven tray.
- Coat marzipan logs, one-by-one, by rolling them in the melted chocolate. Guide them using two butter knives. Transfer the covered marzipan to the tray.
- Let the chocolate set then bag up the spoils, or chop a log into slices and serve it with some decent coffee. Enjoy!!